Our mission is based on the Great Commission and the Great Command of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20, Matthew 22:37-39). Each word has an intentional meaning and biblical grounding for why we chose it as Onward's mission.
- "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31
- We are always glorifying, worshipping, and serving something.
- We willfully surrender to God in joyful obedience. Making Him the most important part of our life.
- "I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me" John 17:23
- We do not separate the message of Jesus from the method of Jesus- relationships.
- The metaphors of the church are self-evident that the church is a “we” thing not a “me” thing.
- We are all a part of something greater than ourselves, and that cannot be done alone!
- We do not enable the destructive ways of consumerism and individualism.
Enjoy and Obey
- "You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound." Psalm 4:7
- "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love." John 15:10
- Jesus is our Savior and our Lord.
- Our actions are an overflow of our relationship with Jesus. Behavior flows from our beliefs.
- We start daily with a relationship with Jesus Christ overwhelmed by the gospel of his love for us.
- Obedience becomes an extension of walking and enjoying His love for us. We obey not because we have to, but because we get to.
- Before we do anything for God we recognize He has done everything for us.
- "He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?' Simon Peter replied, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.'" Matthew 16:15-16
- If you picked one word to describe our mission it could be “person”. Jesus Christ is our mission.
- Jesus is His name. It connects him to humanity through His physical birth.
- Christ is His title of chosen one or messiah. His title connects Him to history and eternity.
- Jesus Christ is God’s chosen savior of sinful people.
And Help Others Do The Same
- "For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" Mark 10:45
- Jesus did not come to be served but to serve. Now we follow in his footsteps by giving away our life for others.
- We are told to “go”, being Christ's ambassadors of reconciliation so others might have everlasting life with God.
To hear more about the mission of Onward Community Church, watch this sermon from our Lead Pastor, Connor Baxter.